May 25, 2009

Chapter 4: Revelations

"So," Greg began. "What did you see in your nightmare?" Together, the four walked side by side down busy streets through the lively city. The time was around noon. Clouds were scarce on this day, and the sun shone brightly over the town.

"I met Daniel when Peter went after Taylor... he told me that Peter used a 'Soul Rip' spell on her. I believed him like the fool I am..." Michael laughed weakly. "When you showed me everything, I think Daniel appeared to me in my mind to stray me away from this whole destiny thing." Tracy's occasional giggle was not brought up this time. The other three were silent, watching Michael intently. He stared back with curious eyes.

Ryan hummed. "Hmm. What did Daniel do?"

"Well," Michael fumbled with his hands, searching for the right words. "He told me that he was the Peacemaker... when I threatened him with my sword, he showed me an image of..." Michael's eyes widened. Greg tensed, wings already starting to spread. He turned to Ryan; his look said Get ready. Tracy ran a hand through his long hair in the pause that followed. Michael turned to face Greg. "Daniel's powers were what, again?" he asked in a meek voice.

"He can create visions, reach out to long distances, teleport, and step into dreams." Greg coughed to clear his throat. Michael stiffened, and widened his wings. He flew up; the others followed closely. He set the pace, flying to where the faint presence he felt in his heart brought him to.

---

Peter sat in front of a two story house on the doorstep with his posterior resting on the welcome mat. He tugged idly at his loose pants, straightening them out here and there. He took a deep breath, then exhaled. His eyes perked up when he saw four specks flying towards his direction. Peter stood, eyes locked and fists clenched. When the figures drew near, he eased up. Michael landed first with a frantic look in his eye. The other three Soul Angels landed easily, smiling and greeting Peter. He waved at them with a raise of his hand, then turned to Michael.

"What is it?" he asked casually. Since Greg had already arrived, he had figured Michael knew everything already. By the look in his eye - one with curiosity and not anger - Michael seemed to know.

He tried to walk past Peter, but was blocked. "Let me pass. Let me pass!" he yelled at him. Peter smiled.

"She's safe, Michael," Peter replied, bending down to look him in the eye. He set a hand on his shoulder. "I have been here and always will be to protect her for you. Do you remember when Dan - err, Daniel, told you about the Soul Rip?" Michael nodded. "The gust of wind that took him was by my own power. I did not place one of those dreaded Soul Rips on her; those kind of spells are targeted at Soul Angels. They are devastating and ultimately destroy an angel in a matter of minutes. No, I did not do that - in the years that I have wandered the earth, I had grown immune to all forms of pain from a Heart Angel. Both Daniel and I, in the beginning, trained each other to withstand our different powers, so that we may never hurt one another accidentally." Peter's eyes stared off into space. "I gave away that immunity and set it upon Taylor so that she may survive. I know how much she means to you. And another thing about the words Daniel said to you," Peter sat back down onto the doorstep. Michael followed suit, and the three Soul Angels gathered around them, intent on listening.

"I... I thank you for doing that, Peter," Michael said gratefully. "I can't imagine an eternity with the thought of her being hurt." Peter nodded.

"Daniel told you about Surno. He stripped you of your emotions for a reason; to protect you. A Heart Angel can manipulate those emotions, if they were strong enough, to the extent of death. Your love for Taylor is too intense for any Heart Angel, even Daniel, to control; if it lasted through and until your death, then that proves it. If Surno had not taken those emotions from you when you were young, when Daniel had learned of your existence, then there would be no hope. Surno holds them instead, placing himself at risk for you. The mask he wears was fashioned by Tracy; Tracy here has the power to imbue clothing with great power. When we begin our assault, he will have the armor ready." Tracy nodded, a great smile flashing across his face. "Do you understand, now? Michael, everything rests on you. The future of humanity, the longevity of the Soul Angels, and the sanity that is left of the Heart Angels... you will bring peace to all three. In the end, when all is said and done, I will grant you a great choice." Peter inhaled deeply.

With an explosive exhale, he began again. "The choice I will present to you, when the Heart Angels and the Soul Angels are united once more, will be simple. Return to the human world at the point in time at the meadow, or continue on as a wandering soul. It will be your choice when we have finished here. Think over it; however, I know what you will choose anyway." He winked at Michael.

"Go on and see her," Peter commanded. Michael nodded and grinned, phasing through the door to Taylor's home.

No comments: