May 25, 2009

Epilogue

A week full of rest and healing passed.

Greg, Tracy, and Ryan sat on a rooftop high above the busy streets of the city. People rushed off to work, walking briskly and barely brushing against one another. A Syphi twinkled on Ryan's shoulder, chattering incessantly. Ryan snickered. "This little guy is happy and thankful to us. What do you think I should name him?" Tracy chuckled.

"How about we name him Peter?" Greg swiveled his head to examine the Syphi.

He sat in silence for awhile. "Sounds like a great name." Ryan smiled, poking the little creature gently. It let loose a brief shrill then returned to its normal squeaks.

"So what do we do now? We saved the world and stuff. It's not like there's a lot of things to do around here." Ryan stared down at the streets below. Tracy patted him on the shoulder.

"There's always something to do. For one, we have to go back to helping the human race more intimately. We ignored them for a bit and let order run rampant for a bit. We also have to tidy up the City of Guardians so we can relocate everyone to there." Tracy faced Greg. "Any word on Surno?"

He shook his head. "He'll be fine. He's not one to let emotions get the better of him."

Ryan and Tracy laughed in harmony.

---

Taylor was seated alone on a park bench. She wore a teal colored jacket with her hands buried deep into the pockets. The wind picked up and sent her hair into a fit as the breeze blew against her. She brushed the hair on her head to the side as the current died down. A boy seated next to her put his arms around her and hugged her tight. A smile spread across her face.

"Happy birthday," the boy whispered into her ear. He pressed his chin against the top of her head. "Are you sure you want to spend it here?" His eyes scanned the near empty park. "It seems pretty... empty."

Taylor's eyes flickered to the side briefly. "Oh, we're not alone. I can tell you that much."
She buried her head into his chest. "So how are you today, Lucas?"

Lucas kissed the top of her head. "It could be better if we spent this somewhere else. I always feel like I'm being watched here," he said with an annoyed tone. "It's like someone's standing right next to us." Taylor giggled.

"You'll come to appreciate that feeling." Taylor wriggled out of his grasp and stood up. She looked at the grassy hills of the park intently. "Wanna walk?" Lucas stood up, but Taylor had already begun. "Just stay here, Lucas. I'll be back." A bit confused, Lucas sat back down on the bench.


Taylor sat down at the bottom of a sloping hill. "So what did you want to tell me, Michael?" she said with that normal perk in her voice.

Michael smiled, folding his wings across his back and placing himself beside her. "I did something great. I... I brought peace to warring sides. But that's not what I wanted to talk to you about." He held his gloved hand out to her. Taylor laid hers in it gently. He squeezed slightly. "I just want to wish you a happy birthday. It's June 7 today - right? I hope I haven't forgotten your birthday. I want to be there for each one you celebrate." He smiled.

"Well thank you. I really mean it," Taylor said in a hushed tone. "It's always nice to see someone smiling," she commented.

Michael laughed. "You know something, Taylor? I had to fight an eight year old boy. And every time he hit me or tried to, my mind wouldn't work straight." He closed his eyes and squeezed her hand tighter. "He kept telling me that things I didn't want to hear. But one thing got me through, no doubt. I thought back to a gorgeous girl with light blue eyes that shine like the sea. She also had stunning brunette hair that ran down in an endless waterfall across her shoulders." Michael opened his eyes as a tear ran down his cheek. "This girl's smile glistened like crystals in light. The very thought of her even knowing I exist got me through the pain I suffered." He rested his head against her shoulder.

"Michael..." Taylor began. She held his hand tightly and placed her free hand on his head.

"I kept telling myself that if I fought, if I fought with every ounce of strength I had, then I would be able to see her again. And I did." He laughed weakly. "I spent the week before this day dreaming. I just woke up a few hours ago. I dreamed of a normal life. A normal life with that amazing girl. A scenario where I was alive and able to do everything for this girl. To hold her when she cried, to cheer with her when she was happy, and to even just be there every day. Hell, it's all I want now. But I'm dead." Michael trailed off into silence.

Taylor sniffled. "Michael, I know that you love me. And I love you too! It's just that... I don't love you in the way you want." She held him closer. "It'll never be the way you picture. I'm sorry."

He laughed weakly again. "Do you remember the day Peter died? Before you could see me, I was with you. I talked to you. I asked if you remembered your first boyfriend. Do you? Do you remember what he said to you to make you fall in love with him?"

Taylor stared off into space. "I remember now. Why?"

"What did he say?"

She hummed a bit before speaking. "He said, 'I'll love you until the end and everything afterward.' " Michael smiled up at her.

"I'm the only one who's done that for you. I..." He drifted off into silence.

Taylor patted his head gently. "You what, Michael?" she asked.

Michael remained silent. "I think you should go back to Lucas now." He sat straight up and released her hand. Taylor stood.

"Are you sure?" she questioned. Michael nodded. She turned to walk up the hillside, casting one last look and smile at him. Michael lay down on the soft grass that tickled his skin. He spread his arms and inhaled deeply.

I don't think I will ever be able to say I love you, Taylor, he thought. I might never have the guts to say it outright. But until that day, Taylor, I just want you to know...

"...that I love you until the end, and everything afterward. And this is..."

"Everything afterward," Taylor whispered to herself at the top of the hill.

No comments: