May 25, 2009

Chapter 4: Revelations (Pt.3)


"Greg," Ryan said gently. He set Tracy down on the sidewalk, where he tried to stop the waterworks. Ryan took a seat next to him, patting his friend on the back softly. "You know that you're the oldest besides Peter out of the Soul Angels, right?" Greg turned to face him, a curious look burning in his eyes.

"I was born four hundred years ago. That is relatively young, Ryan. Was there an education system in your day?" Ryan snorted. Tracy chuckled through a sniffle. Greg closed his eyes and looked away. Silence crept up between the three close friends. This, however, was a secret that should never have been shared. "Ryan..."

He bowed his head. "I'm sorry, Greg. But, with Peter gone and all... we need a new leader, at least for the time being. I know you only told Peter about when you were born, but-"

"What else did you siphon from his memory?" Greg snapped. "What else did you overhear, hmm? Did you burrow deep into his mind, reading all of those juicy details, Ryan? Answer me!" Greg clenched his fists and took a step forward. "It's no excuse that you 'acted on impulse' like you always do. Just tell me - why did you reveal the secret? Are there more you know about?" Greg gritted his teeth against each other. Ryan had a genuine look of shock across his face.

"I just wanted to know, Greg. I just wanted to know!" He stood up slowly with a hardened gaze. "Soul Angels like Tracy and I need to have the same knowledge as the older ones. Otherwise, how could we help with our talents?" He pushed a pointed finger into Greg's chest. "Just because you, Greg, were a Heart Angel once! You get to know everything, don'tcha? Now, you answer me!" He forced even more pressure onto his finger. Tracy, bewildered by all honesty, just watched the exchange silently.

"You tell me why you had the power to stay a Heart Angel and instead became one of us. You're... you're not truly one of us! How can all of the older SA's still entrust in you every detail? How can pure SA's, like Tracy and I, humbly stand to the side and let beings like you steal our rightful spot in the hierarchy?" Silence echoed between the three.

"Ryan," Tracy said. "Let us honor Peter's memory and not bicker over who takes his place. Surno will figure it out; he is... or, was... his best friend after all, right?" Ryan breathed heavily, calming down. He sat next to Tracy.

"Those are memories I'm repressing, Ryan. I do not appreciate that you just reminded me of them." He faced away and ran his hand through his white hair. "Peter always told me that I was welcome. He believed that I was a true Heart Angel with the appearance of a Soul Angel. A true Heartie, his nickname for them, would never let differences separate beings forced to live side by side for all eternity. And so, when I asked him if he could keep my secret, he accepted for my sake. The unease between Heartie's and SA's began to grow during this time." Greg took a seat next to Ryan and grasped his hand. Ryan looked into his eyes, seeing tears beginning their descent. "Now that Peter's gone, no one is left to hold my secret. Except you two,"

"I'm so glad that I have you two," Greg said with a sheepish grin. "If there is one thing I have learned in death, well..."

"What is it?" Tracy prodded. "Tell us!" Ryan laughed along with Tracy's chuckle. Greg let the tears run freely down the side of his face.

"Tears always remain, and emotions never stray. Believe in the soul, and you find the heart. Steal the heart, and nothing is left but tears. Maybe, just maybe... I may be able to see the day when Soul and Heart Angels walk hand in hand to sustain the human race together. Maybe," Greg choked up. "Maybe, I will finally feel welcome. A being of both worlds is what I am; may fate let me see the day we live peacefully." Ryan pulled Greg closer. Tracy bear hugged him, and Ryan followed suit.

"Don't worry," Ryan whispered. "If you don't make it, I won't either. We'll always be with you, Greg. Right, Tracy?" Tracy chuckled, nodding his head.

Greg's smile faded. "I have the strange feeling that this could prove to be some serious foreshadowing..." The trio laughed in harmony this time. Michael and Taylor, who had migrated to her bedroom to talk in private without her Dad hearing, caught the soft noise of laughter. Taylor had put down her phone to exclusively listen to Michael when the conversation had started. The gesture in itself brought joy to Michael. She would never leave her text conversations, not even for her father. Michael smiled, stopping mid-sentence.

"What is it?" Taylor inquired. Michael kept grinning, and Taylor did the same. "Why are we smiling?"

Michael laughed. "It's all I have left. A smile from you puts me at ease, even for what I have to do soon." His eyes strayed to the window. Taylor giggled.

"What do you have to do?" Michael faced her with a serious face now.

He hung his head low. "Forget it. For now, I just want to be with you for as long as this lasts." He looked up to see a smile. He returned it.

Maybe, Michael grimly thought as the conversation started up again. Maybe she'll forget about me when all of this is done. I want her to, even if it hurts. He commented on Taylor's question about his wings. The two laughed in unison.

Yeah, he thought. Taylor patted him on the hand, complaining that she had to use the bathroom. She stepped over him into the restroom, closing the door shut behind her. Michael stood to stare out of the bedroom window.

Yeah, it'd be best for her to forget me as soon as possible. He cast a glance at the closed door. I only wish I could do the same. Michael spread his wings and phased through the window, dropping down to the trio, who were ready to leave.

No comments: