May 25, 2009

Chapter 2: Dawn's Remorse (Pt.3)


Clothes were scattered across Taylor's bedroom floor. She tossed more articles of clothing onto the growing piles as she rummaged through her dresser. Her face hardened in concentration. Seriousness took hold of her; she needed the perfect outfit! There were going to be some cute boys there at her friend Sydney's party. A few of her other friends would be there also. Marybeth, Makenna, Jordan, Sydney...

"Oh what to wear, what to wear!" she mumbled to herself, pinching the collar of a cute t-shirt. Taylor examined it with hopeful eyes. Discarding another shirt held in her other hand, she slipped into the chosen top. Her head popped free from the collar, and she stared into the mirror. She turned to each side, analyzing how much the shirt conformed to her body and flaunted her curves. Smiling with glee, she dug into the dresser to find a cute skirt.

A voice echoed into the hallway across her room, then into Taylor's space. "Taylor! You ready yet?" Her dad shouted. A hint of annoyance was noted in his voice.

Hastily, Taylor slipped into a beige and pink short skirt that fell above her knees. She brushed it down, glancing at the mirror, then trotted down the hallway. She reached the bottom of the stairs, quickly lifting her flats to her feet. Her dad waited at the door beside her, tapping an impatient foot. She pulled the shoes over the back of her ankle, and stood readily.

Her dad looked her over. "Are you ready now-" Taylor ran back up the stairs. He closed his eyes in anger, calming himself. In a few more moments she returned, a pink purse hanging from her shoulder and a beige beret hanging loosely from her head.

"I'm ready now," she said sweetly. Taylor grinned, showing off glossy lips.

---

"So tell me," Miss Lim hissed. "What did you find so... interesting about that girl, anyway?" She, now in her spirit form, cast a puzzled look at Michael. He let out a sigh.

The two spirits floated eerily above Taylor's house. Michael watched with inquisitive eyes as her car pulled out from the driveway. The two-story, brown shingled condominium was cozy from the inside and outside. It offered substantial space for Taylor and her father; in fact, they didn't even use some parts of the house. More parts for storage, maybe.

"It all started when I was seven. Father found me to be his one way ticket to wealth. He knew about my intelligence being advanced for my age. He kept me from living a childhood, having friends, being happy..." He drooped his head, shutting his eyes.

A breeze picked up. Even as a spirit, the wind still affected the pair. Their hair and attire ruffled in the wind and followed its direction. "Taylor's father is a police officer. My mother called the authorities when he started beating me for not doing... 'sufficient' work. He confronted my dad with a warning, and let him off the hook. I can only thank Mr. Robins for doing that great deed for me." Michael's eyes opened a crack.

"My father rarely touched me from that day on. My mother took control of the household, and allowed me to be social. That's how I met Taylor, when Mr. Robins visited to check on dad; it was an odd coincidence that it was 'Take Your Daughter to Work Day'..." His lips formed a smile.

Miss Lim contemplated in the silence that followed. So I see why Surno asked for this boy in particular... I wonder where that dirty schemer is right now...

She drifted impeccably closer to Michael. To ensure that the boy felt safe near her, she embraced him in a friendly hug. She pressed her cheek against his. Michael, though startled, was too stunned to move. "...Miss Lim?" he began.

"Shh," she whispered. She closed her eyes, cherishing what bit of warmth and affection she could muster from this one hug, missing what it felt like. "Just call me... Lily. Yes, Lily will do fine..." Lily rubbed her cheek against Michael's again.

Smothered and shocked, Michael tried to wriggle his way out. "I'm not very comfortable, L-lily..." he complained. When she did not take the hint, he pushed her off of him roughly. She floated back a few feet, a look of genuine surprise on her face.

"I just wanted to compensate for Taylor, since you can't hold her-"

"Compensate?" He shouted angrily. " Compensate for my death? The one you forced me to cause, so that I may save her? In fact, I don't even know why I let myself die! You still haven't told me why you needed me here - to save the world, to save a million lives, what!? Tell me, damn you!" Michael propelled forward with his wings - in the rage he was caught up in, he stuck out a fist as he launched himself at her.

Lily took the blow in her left cheek, spinning her in a complete circle. Her wings spread open, steadying herself. She glared at him. "I'm not the one with that knowledge; ask Surno! Don't remember him? He's the one who stripped you of your emotions in the meadow!" She was breathing heavily. Lily touched her cheek gently. Souls that roamed the earth could not be harmed by the living or material objects, but only by other restless souls.

Michael clenched his fists. He lowered his head, straining not to lose control. Surno... an odd name for an odd man. What part could I possibly play? And what does Taylor have to do with all this? Slowly, his temper calmed. He cooled down visibly; his wings beat less. Lily floated closer, a hand reaching out to comfort him.

She drew closer. "Michael..."

His right hand slapped hers away. An ashen look crossed his face, scorning her. He faced the direction Taylor's car went, and flew after it.

No comments: